Friday 12 February 2010

Bristol Temple Meads: 4th Feb 2010 From 5pm till about 6pm.

Waiting outside a train station for an hour waiting for your sister to pick you up after herwork that makes her important lets her out late, is boring. When I have to wait somewhere like this, surrounded by people but completely on your own I make friends. I make friends with everyone around me but completely in my head. I do this by imagining what I would buy them if I had to spend a grand on them. This could be the result of a radio one quiz which lets face it I must have sucked at to get this prize. But forget about the technicalities because its quite a fun game. If I see a really snobby looking middle aged couple with children I might think "a week in centre parks", or an interestingly hot geekish guy I might go for a retro hi fi system or something. A chic working girl would get a rail of the hottest vintage dresses that Park st could give you. Sometimes my head gets clogged up with sarcastic comments like "a haircut". Or when the Frank Carter wannabe on the next bench along who keeps gawking at me spits on the ground in front of him all I want is a £1 to get him a second hand copy of a Jane Austin novel. Emma or Mansfield Park. That might sort him out.


I love things that are, at the time, scary or intimidating, but in hindsight are pretty interesting.
Mary Poppins would be proud of me.

No comments: