Friday 12 February 2010

One Born Every Minute.

I think there is a time in every student's week that they feel the need to watch a Channel 4 documentary in their PJS. I just naively chose the new reality tv style docu-drama 'One Born Every Minute' which is made up purely of footage from cameras placed around a hectic maternity ward. The program was pretty much what I expected it to be. By myself though I was totally surprised. I found myself bursting into tears at random moments, and this freaked me out because that kind of emotional reaction could lead to me actually wanting to engage in the horrific activity that men have called labour, later in life. Blooming heck.

But that aside I found it pretty amazing to be honest. Whoever is responsible for capturing some of that footage (the less graphic parts) should be so proud. I found myself particularly attached to the younger Mum to be. As the intense venerability drew me closer and closer to the edge of my seat I was comforted by her witty sarcasm and the nurses which remained cool as a cucumber throughout the entire ordeal. She was eventually told that due to the problem her baby had when developing she needed to give birth to him by cesarian section which left her completely petrified, and I was right there with her. She was told it would take 10 minutes to get the baby out, and I imagined that the only thing more terrifying than giving birth must be the thought of leaving it up to a group of complete strangers while you lie there with numb legs. When the midwife (or doctor I'm not sure but they were important) announced that the baby was out, the concerned Mum (we can call her that now) waited anxiously for the sound of her child crying. The look of complete shock, amazement, pride and relief as soon as the little treasure started wailing was magic, and whoever captured that must be a proud little media monkey.

I really can't believe how attached I got to everyone involved in such a short space of time.
I just know I'm going to hear my 'I hate everything' TV lecturer make a subtle dig at this in a lecture and I'll be glad that I appreciated it. I'm also glad for broadband and 4od. And contraception.

No comments: